310 Riverside Drive, New York, NY
The Master Gallery
With the 2013 launch of The Master Gallery in its newly renovated main lobby, the Master Apartments returned to its original mission of fostering and supporting the arts. The first exhibition in the Gallery’s Renaissance in Art series displayed the paintings of Alex Zwarenstein, a one-time resident artist of the Master. The exhibition featured six of Zwarenstein’s oil paintings
The Master was designed in 1928 by Harvey Wiley Corbett for financier and philanthropist Louis Horch. The building, a 28-story skyscraper, housed the Master Institute of United Arts, a creation of Nicholas Roerich, a Russian painter, architect, and set designer. The Institute was previously housed in a mansion at 310 Riverside Drive. The mansion was razed and the Roerich Museum was installed in the The Master upon its completion in 1929. In addition to the museum, the building once contained galleries, conference rooms, a theater, exhibition halls, a restaurant and two libraries.